close
close
Skip to main content
Camilla Care

Baby injured in attack on shopping center outside hospital

Vaseline 1 month ago

A nine-month-old baby has been released from hospital more than a week after being injured in a stabbing at a Sydney shopping centre.

The baby is still receiving care from doctors after being discharged from Sydney Children’s Hospital but has been cleared to go home, NSW Health Minister Ryan Park said on Sunday.

It comes as the community prepares to mourn the victims of Australia’s worst mass killing in years with a candlelight vigil on Bondi Beach on Sunday.

Six people died and five remain in hospital after 40-year-old Joel Cauchi was stabbed at Westfield Bondi Junction in Sydney’s eastern suburbs on April 13.

A crowd gathers on Bondi Beach as an orchestra warms up ahead of the wake.

A mother defending her baby for the first time, the daughter of a millionaire advertising guru and an on-duty security guard were among six people killed in the attack.

Five of the six deaths were women: Ashlee Good, 38, Dawn Singleton, 25, Jade Young, 47, Pikria Darchia, 55, and Yixuan Cheng, 27.

Faraz Tahir, a 30-year-old refugee who fled persecution in Pakistan, was also killed.

At least 12 others – including nine women – were taken to hospital after suffering stab wounds in the attack.

Sunday’s vigil begins with a minute’s silence in honor of those whose lives were lost.

NSW Premier Chris Minns said it would be a chance for people to lean on each other after what had been a terrible week for the city.

“I think if we can stand together in these difficult times, we can send a message that there are far more good people in this city than bad actors and then evil,” he said Saturday.

Visitors are asked to bring candles.

Mental health counselors and first responders will be available.

Opposition Leader Peter Dutton said there was a gender-based violence crisis in Australia following the Bondi stabbing, and backed calls for a royal commission to investigate the issue.

“I would be happy to support anything that reduces the incidence, allowing women and children to grow up in a safer environment,” he told ABC’s Insiders programme.

“There are a number of factors, and I don’t think there is one solution, but again, I think social media can play a role here.

“The computer games that young boys play, where violence is a very important part of what is regularly forced into their heads.”

Agriculture Minister Murray Watt said states and territories could consider tougher penalties for knife offences, but rejected calls to arm security officers.

“We have to be careful not to overreact to these things, and we don’t want our shopping centers to become some sort of armed place where people feel on edge,” he told Sky News on Sunday.

“But you can’t let events like this past week happen and not reconsider what might be needed.”

A temporary floral tribute continues to take place at Oxford St Mall in Bondi Junction.

A formal memorial service will take place at a later date and there are plans for a permanent memorial to honor the victims.

A major coronavirus inquiry will focus on NSW mental health funding and the adequacy of support.

Boosted by up to $18 million in additional funding, the inquiry will examine the police response and Cauchi’s interactions with NSW and Queensland agencies.